Wednesday, September 26, 2007

Venting

Do you ever feel like you just need a good vent? Well, I do, so I hope you can endure the next several lines of my ranting and raving, it will do me good.

How are earth do people live with themselves sometimes? I asked that question way too many times this evening while at work. A particular guest was so incredibly difficult and completely discontent with everything around her. I think if she were to call and complain about just one more thing I'd have to check her out. Her personality completely and utterly rubbed me wrong. I do not get irritated by people's quirk isms too easily, because I have more than my share!, but this woman was...AUGH! I think I even did that silently behind behind closed doors. Before she even accepted a room she had about 10 questions that depending on my response she may or may not stay. And then once she was in her room the TV was not to her liking. I moved her to another room. That room was too cold. I opened the windows for her to get the room warmed up a bit. The traffic was too loud. I shut them for her and ran out screaming, hahaha. I had forgotten to leave her the new room keys so when I went back up to her room she opened the door with the most hideous expression and proceeded to tell me that she turned on the heater and it was dusty and why was it dusty and why hadn't someone vacuumed it and how she still cannot get the thing clean. I explained that it hadn't been turned on all summer and that she was the first to use it. I think her eyes just about fell out of her eye sockets from rolling around in her head too much. I apologized and turned and left. When I got back downstairs she shortly followed. We didn't have the right tea, the coffee was too cold, there weren't enough cups, "are you sure there wasn't a pet in my room?" I am not positive, but the rooms are cleaned thoroughly. We do try to keep pets on the first floor so you should be safe". "That is what they all say" was all she said as she left with once again her eyes spasming in her head. AUGH! I can not believe this woman! Seriously how does one live a life with such a difficult personality? I don't even think difficult really describes her. There was a LONG time in my life where I spent the mass majority of my time as a complete downer. Now that is a really annoying trait. I have no idea how I lived with myself. I think it is right up there with being difficult and hard to please. I learned the hard way that people just do not like to be around you if you act like that, downer or difficult. Even now when I find myself "acting up" I can't stand myself. I give myself a good lecture and a good kick in the butt and I am ready to go it again but much better. This woman is probably the only guest I have ever really dreaded seeing or hearing.

I take that back, I am reminded of another insanely irritating trait! One night I checked in this family, 3 girls and a Mom and Dad. From the moment the Dad walked up the desk I could tell he was going to be an issue ALL night. With in minutes of checking them in I saw all 3 daughters, young mind you, lugging in garbage bags full of dirty laundry. They made 3 trips! I did not see the Father once. I then got a call from the daughter asking if we had a laundry service in the hotel. I replied no and the poor thing sighed and hung up. With in a couple minutes the 3 girls were coming back through the lobby with their several bags of laundry followed by a couple more trips. Once again no sign of Father. I soon got a call from the Dad telling me his toilet is flooded. Usually when a Man calls and says that he is embarrassed and he plunges it himself. But no, not this Man. When I got to the room, his oldest daughter, the only grown up of the bunch, answered the door. The Dad was sitting on the edge of the bed watching cartoons! and pointed at the toilet without even looking up or saying a word. I got to the toilet and it was FULL of toilet paper, at least a whole roll! The place had been completely trashed and they had only been there 30 minutes!!!!!!! Around dinner time I saw the parents leave by themselves and did not return for at least an hour carrying dinner for the family! NOW THAT IS IRRITATING! I could not believe this man. Now that I think about it, the Dad was present for all this craziness, but the Mother was not...Where was SHE?

OK, so I think I have sufficiently vented. I feel much better now.

4 comments:

tutu with love said...

WoW!!! I didn't know there was that type of person on this planet.

How sad this woman must be. She HAS to be lonely! Do ya think that people that complain so much are just STARVING for attention?

The second story was just bad. Bad parenting skill....or I mean Lack of.

Hello, it makes ya glad for who you are, and the parenting skills, and people skills you have.

Time to say thank yu for the reminder

cassandra said...

So much I could say as a comment to this--- but I won't take up all the space. I too wonder sometimes how people like that live with themselves. I like that you lecture yourself; I do that too!

The Healthy Way, Somerset said...

At The Healthy Way, we usually have pleasant customers. We do get the occasional dumb-dumb, however. They come in wanting to "get healthy" and amaze me with how uninformed they are even about fruits and vegies...basic nutrition. I can't believe the ?s I get sometimes. I had a day about 2 weeks ago where I thought I would lose it...the phone calls and the customers that came in...everyone was as dim-witted as they come. It reminded me of something a dear friend said to me when we were serving our missions together: "You need to have more patience with stupid people Hermana." No matter what another's behavior may be, we choose how we can react. It is so tough to respond as the Savior would when another is behaving or speaking in a way that really rubs us wrong!

Anonymous said...

Forgive me...I am going to add to my comment because (now I am venting) my husband says that it makes me sound like I have a superiority complex. That is not my intent here. I mean to say that I too often get frustrated with people when they don't "get it" or don't really listen to what I'm earnestly trying to say to them (or teach them). I have to work on being more patient and compassionate towards them...the end