Wednesday, September 5, 2007

Defacing

Shortly after moving to Boise Idaho I was waiting at a red light, enjoying a moment of peace, I decided to take the opportunity to soak up the view before me. It was spring and the mountains had a lovely soft green color covering them, which by the way is not present all year! What ever plant it is that covers the sides of the mountains here was in full bloom and it was beautiful. The sky was a crisp blue peaking just perfectly around large white clouds, allowing just the right amount of light to pass through and cast various shadows upon this landscape that stretched out before my eyes. Never had I seen such a sight. I have seen many beautiful landscapes, this one was new and unique to me. I had never seen high mountain desert before and believe me it is a unique sort of beauty. Even in the summer when the hills look dusty brown they have an interesting beauty to them, you might be thinking "ugh!", but it really is not. The trees that grow at the top of the mountains stand out and draw your eyes upward, noticing the contrast of the dry, dusty brown against the brilliant blue sky, it really is a beautiful sight. So while sitting and truly enjoying myself, but also dreading the fact that I'd be spending the rest of the beautiful day inside working, I began looking around taking in the view of the small, but growing city. And then there right smack in front of me was one of the most upsetting and unbelievable sights I'd ever seen. I looked out my driver side window and toward the ground, some beautiful white wild flowers were growing right along side the road and they had caught the corner of my eye. To my utter disgust and even surprise there next to these beautiful wild flowers was the largest, most insane, disgusting, mound of cigarette butts I'd ever seen. You couldn't have swept the gutters of a down town city street collecting cigarette butts and have created as large a mound! I was outraged. It was as if someone had a 5 gallon bucket in their car where they tossed all their cigarettes upon completion of inhaling the awful stuff, and then opened their door and just dumped it! It should be illegal! Oh yeah that's right, it is! It is called "littering". It should be a commandment, Thou shalt not litter and deface this beautiful earth that has been given to you! I then looked at this scene in a new way. In a really demented way I saw it as a form of art. I wished I had my camera so I could photograph it and then mail it to all the save the earth'ers, all the anti-tobacoo'ers and all the in between'ers. My photograph, my work of art, would be called, "defacing".

No comments: