Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Crazy Squirrel

During Christmas break we discovered we had a pet and we didn't know it. A squirrel, who was quickly named Squeakers, was conditioned to beg at the sliding door within days. I even saw him scratching at the door once! My kinds found it most enjoyable to feed him MY walnuts, pecans, and almonds. Squeakers certainly didn't mind at all! Pretty soon we found Squeakers more entertaining than each other! We would sit at the table and watch him and laugh at him. My patience for the whole thing didn't last long, as he was eating more of my yummy nuts than I was! So, I went and bought him some squirrel food, which happens to be corn. I then decided I needed to feed the birds too, they are far less annoying than Squeakers. Within moments of hanging the bird feeder full of a lovely bird seed mix (nuts, seeds, and raisins) Squeakers came crashing down to the earth, along with the bird feeder. That was the last time he ever ate the corn I had bought for him. My bird feeder broken and Squeakers vanished I ventured out and got a new bird feeder. Within a few days it was filled with cute little finches and I was enjoying watching them. No joke, that crazy Squeakers shows back up, scares away the birds, and I find him hanging by one foot upside down from a tree branch reaching for the food. I stood and watched him reaching and grabbing for the food, his little claws not long enough to reach. He made one final swing for the food and once again gravity proves ever faithful and he came crashing to the ground. Luckily this time, my feeder stayed in tact, hanging to the tree. In complete shock, and probably humiliation, Squeakers ran off. He is one desperate critter though! I saw him back in the tree just moments ago having another try at that feeder! I think there is a lot to learn from this picky determined rodent!

1 comment:

Liz said...

My mom has had the same problem with squirrels. Although, her bird feeder is on a post and so the squirrel would open the top and eat all the food gone. She finally bought a feeder for the squirrels and then nailed the top on the bird feeder so the squirrels couldn't open it. But they sure are entertaining to watch!