Thursday, March 4, 2010

Pamela's Bakery and Cafe

I don't usually review things on my blog but this place is worthy of my review! A good friend of mine took me there for the first time in September '09 for a birthday lunch date. I order the quiche and she got the turkey club (if my memory serves me correctly). The quiche was simply mouth watering and every bite was savored! The dish came with a side of coleslaw. Now, if you are anything like me you would say, "I'll pass". Well, don't pass on this coleslaw! I don't even know what was all in it but it sure wasn't any coleslaw I had ever had. We got little desserts to go, later at home I devoured it with my girls.

Just before Christmas I took my husband there for a breakfast date. I ordered Darren't Huevos Rancheros, a breakfast burrito like none other! I have actually tried to imitate this dish and have proved unsuccessful, close but no cigar! My husband ordered the french toast, mmmmm! We left there feeling completely satisfied, without the feeling of being weighed down by cheap ingredients or grease!

The last cake I purchased from a bakery was in September (my birthday and I wanted a fancy cake). I recall it's dry cardboard cake, with a thick, overly sweet, stick to the roof of the mouth chocolate slop, decorated with some fancy looking chocolate straws and very waxy chocolate shavings to make it appear delicious. I was incredibly disappointed in it's high price and poor quality. I swore I would never buy another nasty cake again. So, when I was looking in the showcase at Pamela's, leaving drool all over the glass, I knew they were the one's to make the future cakes that would enter my mouth!

For my oldest daughter's birthday I special ordered a very dreamy Valrhona chocolate cake with a coconut mousse filling, whipped cream frosting, decorated with almond slices, fresh strawberries, and flowers. When my daughter saw the cake, she said with tears in her eyes, "That is the most beautiful cake I have ever seen!" This was followed by a huge hug and a best Mom ever compliment. What about the chef who created it? She deserved a huge hug for creating such a special masterpiece for my baby girl (who happened to turn 9). The cake was even more delicious than it was beautiful! I am so looking forward to the next birthday when I plan to order either the Strawberry Lemonade, the Chocolate Bavarian Creme, or the Carrot Cake!

So, craving the deliciousness of Pamela's once again, my husband and I had a rare date again this morning and chose Pamela's. I ordered a 3 egg omelette with chicken, pepper jack cheese, and tomato. This is the third omelette I have ever eaten. The first 2 shouldn't even be classified as omelets, anything that makes you feel like puking afterward shouldn't be classified as food. So, knowing that the previous meals at Pamela's were superb, I gave the omelette a try. Boy am I glad I did. My husband got the Big Boy Breakfast Burrito. My husband has a bit of a sweet tooth and grabbed a chocolate dipped coconut macaroon to go. I caved and took the last bite and I am so glad I did! I am a huge fan of coconut and that was simply the best macaroon that has ever passed my lips! It was not too sweet and gloppy like my homemade ones.

I don't typically eat out unless it is a special occasion and those are so rare that when I eat out I want, not just good, but GREAT food. I am usually disappointed and realize I could have made better food at home. I feel like I wasted my time and money and regret having gone out. I have not felt this way with Pamela's. I leave feeling like I have eaten food rather than excessive grease, salt, and seriously, who knows what else!

I have raved enough about the food, now for the owner and the other's running the place. They are the friendliest most helpful people in the food industry! Truly a delight!

Once again Pamela's out did themselves and sent away another pleasantly filled couple!

My new philosophy has been taken from the food critique on Ratatouille: "If I don't love it, I don't swallow!"

No comments: