Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Funky Baking Going On!

In the past couple days my girls and I have tried some rather interesting new recipes and some old favorites with some funk!

To celebrate Dr Seuss's birthday my youngest requested green eggs and ham. Well, the light green eggs just didn't cut it! We wanted some seriously GREEN eggs! Eggs just aren't eggs without some minced garlic and we like lots of it. The ham wasn't green but boy was it delicious! I put the whole thing in the slow cooker for 6 hours on low and it came out by far the best ham on the whole darn planet!


This afternoon my youngest (who plans to be a chef when she grows up and open her own "shop") announces that she will be making crackers, a recipe from Kinder Krunchies (but modified by me, of course). Well, she helped get the ingredients, had a lesson in reading a recipe and learning "fractions", did some measuring, turned the mixer on and off and helped cut out one batch. Then I was left to finish up the last 2 batches and do the clean up. Go figure! All batches turned out beautifully except the last which turned charcoal brown because I forgot to take them out when the timer beeped. I promised to save that batch for the husband.

Here's the Picture (The crackers really are small, about 1 in. I am displaying them on the only neutral colored object I could find in my house, a mug lid!):


Here's the recipe with my adjustments because obviously they are the best!

1 c whole wheat flour

3/4 c wheat germ

3/4 c flax meal

4 t honey (honestly who measures this delicious essential sweetener? I know I didn't! I just squeezed until it looked like 4 teaspoons.)

3/4 t sea salt

1/2 t baking soda

1/2 c softened butter (coconut oil would work lovely in these as well, butter just sounded too delicious to pass up tonight!)

1/2 c buttermilk (I always make my own with 1 T Braggs Apple Cider Vinegar or Lemon Juice and enough milk to make 1 cup.)

Mix all the dry stuff together, drizzle in the honey, drop the softened butter in and keep mixing, slowly add the butter milk. I had to then whip out my handy dandy Pampered Chef scrap and stir gadget and stirred in about another 1/4 cup flour until it was not so sticky (I probably could have done this last step using the mixer but I really am working on getting bigger biceps and shoulders so I did it by hand.)

Flour your clean surface, roll out the dough really thin, I am talking cracker thin, if you don't you end up with funny shaped dry bread like stuff. I cut the crackers out using these adorable little metal cutters from Pampered chef. I don't know what they are really any good for other than being cute but they came in really handy tonight! We used the shamrock, the hot pepper, and the flower shaped cutters.

Place all the little cut outs (or big cut outs if you like big crackers) on an ungreased cookie sheet, place in oven at 400 degrees bake for 10 minutes, dump baked crackers on rack to cool... and watch them disappear! We served them with tomato soup and goat cheese!

Which brings in the 3rd and final funky recipe of the evening. Never in my life have I tried goat cheese. I have always been intrigued, since seeing Shirley Temple in Heidi (her grandpa makes goat cheese). Now that I have tried it I cannot say it is my favorite, but I can say that it is an acquired taste and probably will have to grow on me.

Again this recipe is slighted modified, mainly the final ingredient, which was purely inspired at the very last moment.

goat cheese (obviously) rolled into small bite size balls

finely chopped pecans

Cinnamon (I never measure cinnamon, it is too delicious to use sparingly)

Honey for drizzling

And drum roll please...cocoa powder!

Stir the dry stuff together, roll the little goat cheese balls around in the yumminess, slightly mash the ball of goodness, place on a lovelier plate than the mug lid I am using, and drizzle honey to your hearts content! I found these yummiest with LOTS of honey! My oldest tried one, ran to me yelling and hopping all over the place "Mom, those are the best thing ever! They are so good!" She was almost too ridiculously excited. So, I went and tried one, certainly not as excited as her over the little morsel. I said to her, "needs more honey!" I will try one again tomorrow after my stomach settles from eating too many crackers!

No comments: