Friday, March 5, 2010

My First Biscuits

Ever since my 10 day fast food is pretty much constantly on my mind! I made my first biscuits last night and they are already gone! Breakfast finished off the remaining morsels. Here is the recipe with my tweaks.

Spelt Flour Biscuits

2 1/2 cups spelt flour

1 T baking powder, heaping (by the way, what exactly does that mean? My heaping could end up being 2T, someone else's may be just a smidgen over 1T, so heaping really is relative and thus to me doesn't make sense why it would be stated as such in a recipe. Does the amount over 1T make a difference in results?)

1/2 t salt

1 t cinnamon (I would add more than this next time, we love cinnamon at our house!)

1/2 cup coconut oil (If you keep your spelt in the fridge the flour is cold, thus keeping the coconut oil solid giving it the same consistency of butter. I keep all my flour in the fridge, my coconut oil at room temperature, stays a soft solid.)

1T honey (I just squeezed the honey until I thought it was long enough. The biscuits were not sweet, so whatever I did put in wasn't a large quantity.)

1 cup milk

Mix together dry ingredients (I used my KitchenAid for the whole recipe.) Cut in coconut oil (or other fatty substance of your choice). Add honey and milk (I did this while the machine was going and I gradually added the milk). Put on floured surface, smoosh into a circle (My circle was larger than the recommended 9 inch. I got 11 biscuits out of my dough, plus the fun leftover shapes.) Place on a greased sheet. Bake at 350 degrees for 15-20 minutes or until brown.

While still hot, spread on some coconut oil and honey and then devour! We sure did!

No comments: