Tuesday, November 20, 2007

SNOW!

This morning minutes before going out the door for school Kevin yells, "HURRY! It's snowing!" We all ran and put on our coats and shoes and flew out the door to capture the first snow that Emily and Lydia had ever seen! Living on tropical islands all their young lives kind of took away this one magical moment in a child's life.

The snow came down in chunks! I showed the girls how to catch a "chunk" on their tongues. They could hardly do it with out the whole sky seeming to fall in their little faces. They laughed, danced, and squealed as the snow fell harder all around them.

Every morning we ride our bikes to school because Kevin usually has our one vehicle with him at school. Kevin was home on Tuesday, he figured that day should be no different! So, we tried to ride our bikes in the snow. That was hilarious. Kevin and I were having fun but the girls, especially Lydia did not like it at all. Lydia just cried and whined the block that we actually peddled. The snow was blowing so hard in her face she couldn't see a foot in front of her face. So, we turned around and Kevin drove Emily to school. By the time we got the bikes put away and the car started the snow had stopped and was already melting, and rather fast I must add.

We sure had fun while it lasted! We look forward to another adventure in snow, well, maybe, well, most of us do. I think Emily and Lydia would rather do without the snow. They thought it was fun for like 10 minutes. I didn't expect them to have so much fun that they would never want to come inside again, but I did think they would have wanted to play in it longer than the few minutes that they did. I remember as a kid building forts, burying myself in it like people do with sand on a beach, and staying out for hours. It got to the point I was so numb to the cold that I didn't notice it any more. Some day maybe Emily and Lydia will too. I grew up with cold weather, they have spent their few years on beaches and beside pools. Oh, the poor deprived children! I actually would much rather that scene over the winter scene, I think Emily and Lydia do as well. Especially seen as how they both, shortly after the fun in the snow experience, said, I miss Okinawa!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Suzanna.... Okinawa misses you guys too.
I love the snow. Carson keeps asking me when the snow is going to come.... Never I tell him. It NEVER snows on Okinawa. We are still wearing our flip flops so enjoy the snow.
Katherine

Anonymous said...

I love playing in the snow to this day. It is even better with the kids. BUT, I must admit, even with all my years in cold weather, my heart would really like to be in the warmth. I hate being cold. You have to be having tons of fun to stay in it long... like when we were kids. I must also say that fresh fallen snow is one of the most beautiful things, and a world glistening and covered in ice is breathtaking. It is a double edged sword.

Anonymous said...

OOPS! That was Cassandra's comment above.