Thursday, November 8, 2007

Senses

The morning before going pumpkin picking Lydia was reflecting on our days in Okinawa and says to me dreamily , "Mom, when can we go tangerine picking again?" Her question provoked longing feelings inside me as well. Okinawa grows a unique tangerine, the best I have ever had. We went every season while living there. Just the smell awakens a deep indescribable feeling within one's sole. That might sound corny but there is no other way to describe this amazing fruit. Just writing about it livens all of my senses. So, to fill this void within each of our hearts I have decided to add a new family picking tradition. We will pick pumpkins. Pumpkins and gourds may not be as fulfilling to all of my senses but it will be just as fun and rewarding in a bonding sense.

I just cannot resist the urge to photograph Lydia. I cannot resist showing off her photos. She inspires me. What I'd give for a high tech, fancy camera and some lessons. I 'd have it clued to me at all times. The thing about Lydia is she makes a great candid subject. But if she knows I am taking her picture she will do something goofy. Can you imagine the photos I could take of her if she never even knew I was there? To have a camera with a super zoom lens I could sit in shadows and just capture every moment of her innocence. I mean not to sound like I favor Lydia. I suppose in a sense I do, photographically speaking only. Emily is opposite of Lydia, she takes nice posed photos, but if I capture her being natural she is usually doing something goofy. Ultimately I have learned that photographing my children requires impeccable timing!

Emily asked me to fix her hair like a water fountain on top of her head. She loved it so much and at the same time couldn't stop laughing at how funny it looked. Lydia asked for one as well, but her hair is much too long to have the same effect of a water fountain. I did my best by just looping it on top of her head. When she looked in the mirror she lost all control. I could not resist getting a photo of their contagious laughs. Even grumpy, serious, old me could not resist the urge to laugh. It may not seem so funny just looking at the photo, but the tears and the squeels were too irresistible. If you look closely you can see the wetness in Emily's eyes. When she really laughs it is so contagious because her laugh is so pure and real. Her whole self is involved in laughing. I smile just thinking about her laugh. Laughter truly is contagious isn't it?

2 comments:

ginger said...

I love to laugh!! I love how contagious it gets, to the point where it is uncontrollable! so much fun.

Anonymous said...

What lovely little ladies. Their smiles make me smile.