Thursday, July 24, 2008

Bragging

As avid readers might find I tend to share insights into the "world of Suzanna". That means I share everything I can possibly think of to share about myself. I don't open up to just anyone about my thoughts and views on life, especially in the spoken word.

I recently wrote about the book Emma by Jane Austin and the great new things I learned about myself. My sister, Cassandra, commented on that post telling me I needed to spend some time bragging a bit, rather than always "reporting" the things I learned about my negative nature. As many may find, bragging can be rather difficult. I personally find that reporting my self -discoveries of inadequacy much easier. My sister's comment has gotten me thinking this bright new morning. I find it difficult to admit that I think I have some really, pretty awesome, character traits, maybe even a skill or two. Why is it that the majority of the human race does that?

Think of the animal kingdom for instance...The cheetah knows he is the fastest cat and can pretty much catch anything he wants. Does he ever stop and say, "I am nothing, I will never be able to catch that animal. He is far to fast for me. I will just lay here under this tree and eat bugs that crawl on my paw"?

And what about the shark? Does he decide to quit swimming the oceans and just sink to the bottom like a brick and say to himself, "I am not scary enough, my teeth are not sharp enough, I will never be able to eat another seal, they are too good for me"?

Animals would never do that, so why would the human race, supposedly the higher life forms on this planet, do that? God created us in his image. I don't think that means just our physical features. How does God feel when we don't amount up to all he created us to be? When I think of a loving parent that parent wants their children to grow up to be their very best selves, to amount to all the potential there little selves can possibly be. I don't know any "loving" parent who would tell their child, "you will NEVER be able to do that, you are nothing, why are you even bothering".

In regards to what my sister said, I feel that I have done quite a bit of bragging on this site. If you have read my posts you will find that I have learned, grown, and even boasted on a thing or two. Even just having a blog and making it available to the world says, "I think I have something important to share, I think I have the potential to be a decent writer someday, I have amazing kids...let me show you their faces".

But in humoring my sister I will have to say that one of my favorite qualities that I possess is the ability to admit when I have failed, and after admitting my failure I do all I can to correct it and not fail again. See, I have the skill of turning something negative into a positive! :)

No comments: