Thursday, July 17, 2008

A Good Samaritan

The parable of the Good Samaritan is a parable that most people are aware of. I grew up hearing the story and I have read it numerous times as an adult. Only this morning have I read it in a way that at first humiliated me and now has humbled me.

In Jesus the Christ by James E Talmage he discusses this parable and says, "Doubtless priest as well as Levite salved his conscience with ample excuse for is inhumane conduct; he may have been in a hurry, or was fearful, perhaps, that the robbers would return and make him also a victim of their outrage."

Never in all my times of reading and hearing the parable have I thought of what the 2 who passed by may have been thinking or feeling at the sight of the injured man. I always had hoped that I would be like the Samaritan. Here lies my problem. I never honestly looked deeply enough at the story or myself in order to truly find which I may be like.

The other day my girls and I were driving down a rode and just in front of us was a young man on a bike with no helmet. With in seconds he hit a pot hole, more like a crater, and flew head over heals in the worst looking bike accident I had ever witnessed. My heart stopped, and I immediately debated if it would be OK to stop and assist. I was afraid to. I won't even tell you all the many excuses that ran through my mind preventing me from stopping. A short way from the boy I finally turned around, and just as I did so car after car pulled over to assist the boy. I was too late. I had witnessed it and I failed. I am sick at myself for failing to help the boy. I am sick at myself for being exactly like the Priest and the Levite from the timeless parable of the Good Samaritan. I had passed by only looking and continued on my way in fear.

While reading the parable this morning my mind not only reflected back on this particular moment where fear kept me from serving my neighbor but also to many other very similar moments, but maybe had an "excuse" of being in a hurry. "Excuses are easy to find; they spring up as readily and plentifully as weeds by the wayside." Oh how I long to not be afraid or in too much of a hurry to be like the Samaritan in the story, "having a compassionate heart and no excuse".

(all quotes are found on page 401 of Jesus the Christ)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Man... I am so annoyed. I was just trying to send you this really great story in regards to this and the message closed out. I will try again...
On Sunday while taking Bryan to pick up his truck we had such an opportunity to possibly serve. It was before church, I was feeling really ill, and it was getting late. A truck pulling a trailor full of hay pulled out in front of us. After complaining about the situation we quickly noticed that the back end of the trailor was bend and the tires were smoking. Seconds later the axel literally fell off and tumbled into the road. The driver pulled onto a side road and stopped. The whole slow motion scene unfolding before us, I stayed back and then pulled around him. We had to quickly think. We decided that he appeared fine as he stepped out of the truck and that we had no time to assist. Besides, what could WE do? I pondered on that question and wondered if we should have at least asked what we could do. On my way back home I had contemplated going another way just so I wouldn't have to pass the mess that I was sure would be all over the road. I ended up going back the same way and saw no one at the sight; just the trailor with tumbled bails (the huge round ones) and an empty pick up. I was relieved that all was well. Was that relief on my part or on the part of the driver? Both I suppose. Bryan and I had both said though that if we did stop (in that moment of debate) that it would have been okay to be late to church if it was in service of that man. We never know when we can change a persons life for good. Next time I will try my diligently to remember this parable... Thanks again for a nice reminder Suz! P.S.--- I decided that I was feeling way to crummy to make it to church afterall. Go figure! I stayed in bed the rest of the day.

Anonymous said...

Side note about your music choices---I didn't know you were so into jazz. I have never heard of some of your posted artists. I love Nora Joes though (have 2 albums myself) and really like Harry Conick (have none). Some good tunes though.

Cassandra

PARTICLE-MAN said...

I have been told that it's unsafe to pick-up hitch-hikers. I have on occasion, but not when I have kids or my wife in the car (I don't want to put them in any danger).

Tony Rennick

Nice music Suz!

Anonymous said...

Don't tell anyone, but I used to stop to offer assistance even with my wife and youngins in the car with me. Thankfully we never fell to evil designs. It's good to read that you have a conscience that bothered you enough to turn around. Listen to that little voice inside of you and you will reap much pleasure and peace.

- Caveman -