Wednesday, October 3, 2007

Work in Progress

I just finished this single panel curtain that I designed as part of a really long project I have been working on. About two years ago I planned a theme for my daughters' room. We had bought them red, yellow, and blue bunk beds, it was all the store had at the time. So, I figured I'd make the most of them and make a fun "primary color" room. Emily now says that the primary colors are her favorite colors because from them you get every color of the rainbow. What a smart kid! I am not any good at the decorating thing or sewing for that matter, but it is fun for me to be creative. The project is so far from being completed. I'd like to just get it done, but time and resources are in short supply.

I am having fun thinking up new things to add. I have wall paper trim that has red yellow and blue planets, sun, moon, and stars, drawn like a child with a crayon. LOVE IT! Emily and Lydia picked it out. I will hang glow in the dark stars on the ceiling, I will make some fun red yellow and blue pillows from left over curtain fabric. When we move and we have our own house I wanted to paint the walls with geometric shapes, Emily and Lydia don't like that idea, they want to stick with the celestial theme, so I caved, we'll paint the future walls non-geometrically. I don't want to do it now because I don't want to have to paint over the hard work. I will most likely hang the paper trim because we plan to stay put for at least 3 years. To me the walls are just too white behind that bright and bold panel curtain. I should just stop being lazy and paint the walls. I want the girl's room to be really fun and enjoyable. They have piggy banks in the primary colors with their names painted on and laundry baskets in the same manner. I still need to hang a hand crafted chore chart that the girls add Velcro stars when chores are completed, and also a hand crafted calendar that has everything from weather and seasons to the year, month, and day to add and move around as the girls please. We bought them dark blue mink blankets and a pillow cover while in Okinawa. I thought the blue in the room was darker, so when I brought the blankets home and compared I was a bit sad, but I am over it, I love the blankets; besides the blankets will last them forever, they are a Korean queen size (between a full and queen).

It is slowly coming together. I figure by the time we move it will be complete and then I get to start all over again. So, here is my request from you readers...any homemade ideas to add to this work in progress? It could be OUR project!




4 comments:

tutu with love said...

Man, it sounds like your ideas are great. I don't think anything eles would work out. The primary color theme is perfect. Good luck. Your draps look professional. Really, you did a super job. The quilts sound warm and comfy

cassandra said...

Tell me more about the curtains. Are there huge sequines on them. I like how they draw up in the center. Good idea to work with what you had in the bed. I am STILL working on my girls room. It would all look pulled together if I could just paint. I know paint is not expensive, but we have to prime too. I would love to have it finished. Get this--- now Jessica says she doesn't like pink! Their room is pink, brown, and blue. I told her I guess there is no point in finishing the room now (just being ornery). She said she would like it better if it were DONE. Way to get me on that one!

cassandra said...

I went back and realized I didn't finish reading this post. Here are a few tips from a "wanna be decorator". Don't be bumbed about the blues not being perfect. As long as the hew is the same, you're fine. What about large artwork (possibly even made by my great nieces) to cover the walls a bit instead of the permanancy of paint?!

Anonymous said...

I am so glad to see the pics Suz. You have told me about your ideas for the girls room, but it is better to see them. I love the boldness of color! My kids' favorite colors are the primary colors: Logan's is yellow; Levi- blue; and, Micaela- red. I love Cass' idea of the girls posting their artwork in the room...all in the primary colors!