Thursday, October 18, 2007

Happy Moment: I Pledge Allegiance

Today's happy moment actually choked me up and bit. Today was my day to volunteer in my daughter's class room. I always look forward to Thursdays in the classroom. Each morning the secretary reviews some announcements and reminders to the children and then calls the children to all stand and repeat the Pledge of Allegiance. I was under the impression that the Pledge had been taking out of the schools. I am happy to "hear" that it has not been removed from my daughter's school. Seeing all these 6 year old kids stand placing their hands over their hearts, looking at the flag and reciting the pledge that I had too recited as a young child made my heart swell. It was at this phrase that got me the first day and now once again today...one nation under God. I am proud to be an American. I am not at all bothered by reciting those words. We are one Nation, under God, and should be indivisible. And yet, sadly, we are very much divided, certainly not one. I was honored to be able to recite the pledge along with the children. My daughter looked at me and mouthed across the room, "I didn't know you knew the pledge"! With the many immigrants throughout our country I see the controversy with children being required to repeat this pledge. Most people believe in a supreme being. The founders of this great country believed in a God. I feel that pledging an allegiance to the flag (which is purely a symbol, the allegiance is not to a piece of material, it is to that which the flag represents) is a duty all Americans must accept. Allegiance means devotion or loyalty...to what? Freedom, Justice, and all that America stands for. I believe, maybe in ignorance or naivety, that if we each remember what being an American truly means, remember all the many lives lost in fighting for those beliefs from the very infancy of this great country, then just maybe we can have the unity that is needed to keep a great country great. If we do not uphold those values this country was founded upon then all those men, woman, and children who have died and continue to die for this cause will have done so in vain.

That is all I have to say about that.


Here is an added happy moment for my day. This is too happy to not share!
Today was rather cold (in the mid 40s) and very cloudy. This sort of weather makes me rather snuggly and teddy bearish. Just before leaving for work I grabbed Kevin, in spite of his "trying" to reject me (he has become far too serious! And mind you this is the boy who was once called Tigger), we danced around and twirled and just acted silly. Just then Lydia came peaking around the corner to see why Mom and Dad were laughing and being way too happy and silly for our usual serious, stressed out selves. We both grinned at Lydia and she just stood so happy to see us having fun. So, I ditched Kevin and went and scooped up Lydia, who was obviously very jealous of the funness in the home, and I began to whirl and twirl around with her. I gave them both hugs and kisses goodbye and went out the door for work. It has been a while since I left the house and those I left behind were smiling and happy. Well, even I was smiling more than usual! I do believe this has been a great day on my quest!

No comments: