Thursday, September 3, 2009

To Fly Would Be Grand

With every step I took negative energy was released through my toes. My arms swung with great force to burn off all my anger and frustration locked deep within. I noticed my surroundings, that they were beautiful, peaceful and serene, but I did not give my heart to the hills for fear they too would betray me. The water babbling along through the canal was free, why could I not be free just as she? The ducks that foraged along the bank for breakfast too were free, why not I? I walked on fiercely, my thoughts and emotions driving me further on.

My feet dove straight into the soft sand of the foothills, nothing could stop them or keep them from going farther still. Away from the shade of lush trees along the canal path and facing the dry mountain desert hills, my nerves lose tension as sweat begins to run down my cheek. The sun's warmth is welcome to my icy disposition and I long to climb to the top of the world just to touch the rays that give such warmth! My breathing is staggered as I suck in air so dry my lungs heave and my mouth longs for moisture. I continue forward determined to leave my world behind. The hills are alive with red winged grasshoppers and yellow fuzzy ants and tall sunflowers. The hills' current hiker is dying and longs to be just as alive as its occupants.

I reach a summit. I stop and turn in circles as I take in my surroundings. I look below to where I had come from and see that if I run fast enough back down I may just be able to fly. I take my first step, then another, soon gravity increases and my feet are no longer my own. Up and over hills, around the bend, at every turn insects fly and buzz and click their little bodies out of the path of furry. How I long to be free, free to fly far, far away from here!

I stop, hunched on the ground, coughing and sobbing. I can not fly.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I assume you are the author. When did you learn to write so well. I mean it, you could publish this I think. It causes me to wonder what you must be feeling or going through to write such words, what you were going through at the time.
I love you.

Cassandra

Suzanna said...

I am Cassandra. Thank you for your generous compliments. I won't go into detail in my reply as to what was going on in my life at the time. WHY? Because I have decided to make it a part of my blog. So, keep following in and you will be informed.

Suzanna said...

I mean, I am the author, not I am Cassandra. Ha ha ha.