Saturday, April 5, 2008

Waste

My daughters and I were watching a show called Beeker's World this morning on PBS. First, I'd like to say how much I appreciate public television. The shows offered are so educational and clean (no pun intended in regards to my current topic!). I wish I could donate to programs such as these. That is something else I'd do with a million! Support wonderful organizations. There are so many out there. Do you ever feel there is too much of the things you would love to do and not enough MONEY to do it with? I feel that every day. And it isn't just STUFF that I'd spend the money on. It would all go to good causes! AUGH! "If I were a rich man!" (I am feeling the need to watch Fiddler on the Roof.)

So, on the show Beeker's World they were teaching children (and obviously one adult) where sewage goes. It was quite discusting but also fascinating. The point I want to mention though is that he said that the water that goes down the street drain and gutters is never treated, "it goes right into the local oceans, rivers, and lakes". I was discusted! My seven year old daughter said, "that's discusting! I am never swimming in the ocean again!"

That really got us talking about all the trash and litter that we see on a regular basis. I know that there are some many things harming our environment and there is really only so much one person can do. But if we all did just little bit better at how much waste we have we would be making a huge difference.

Just after the last major snow melted away our apartment's parking lot and gutters were filled with all sorts of debri. I went out and with frozen fingers dug out of the gutters 2 garbage bags full of trash! Some of it I couldn't even get up because it was embedded and frozen into the drain cover. I was so upset at the residents in the area for their lack of concern for our little community within the apartments. Just imagine what it is like in bigger communities. When I learned where that nasty polluted gutter water goes I was shocked!

I hope I have inspired at least one more person to not litter and if they do see litter to pick it up.

No comments: