Saturday, April 5, 2008

Tradition vs. Habit

Today, as others of my faith know, was a special day to listen to the leaders of my church speak to us as a whole and enlighten and encourage us. One sister in particular sparked some thoughts. Her name is Cheryl C Lant and she is the General President over the children's organization called the Primary. She spoke on traditions. When I think of traditions I usually think of holiday traditions. All the other "stuff" I do I just think of as being habit or routine. But after listening to her talk I realized that all the "stuff" I do on a regular basis is tradition. And upon realizing this it brought a whole new meaning to me about what I do as a homemaker. This realization has made the day to day "stuff" that I do as a mother have such a deeper meaning, it has encouraged me and lifted me. I feel like those things I do have meaning beyond just taking care of my kids. I cannot fully explain what a magnificent feeling came over me. I have always felt what I do as a mother, and what all women in the world do as mothers, is the most important of all "callings" in life. But to realize that something I thought basic, such as having a "tradition" of respect for one's self and others is not so basic but deep and profound, WOW! This is how I was raised. I thought it common. I never thought such things that come naturally to me to be thought of as tradition, I really thought of it as being "stuff". Now, let me explain this "stuff" that I continue to refer to. To me, when I say "stuff", I am referring to the fact that I am a strict, firm, and organized parent. The things I do others might think of as "uptight", "controlled", "mean", and "too routine".

Here are some examples...I don't tolerate disrespect for authority, such as teachers, or adults or disrepect to others property, God's creations, or one's self. Also, my children have had the same bed time and bed time routine since they were babies, now don't get me wrong, there are times when bed time fluctuates, but for the most part this "tradition" has not changed. And now that they are getting older that bed time will gradually move back. But, I can be a selfish parent and bed time is Mom and Dad time, so that means that even though they are getting older I will still send them to their rooms at the same time for their own personal quiet time. Which brings up another point, I have also always been a firm believer in "quiet time". Kids need that down time, whether or not they nap, they need some down time. Play is hard work. Not to mention the parent also needs that quiet time. We also attend church every Sunday and pray and read scripture. I never thought of that as a tradition. I just thought it habit. But tradition sounds so much more heart felt and sincere than "habit". It is habit to brush your teeth, a tradition to eat healthy foods. Doesn't that sound more beautiful and inviting? I'm not going to DIET! I am going to start a tradition of healthy eating and exercise.

Who in their right mind says no to TRADITION! So, I think from now I shall have this mentality...Everything in my life that means something to me is now tradition, out with the old habits and in with the traditions!

No comments: