Sunday, April 6, 2008

Sabbath Day Lessons

As I mentioned this weekend is General Conference for my church. In between the 2 separate 2 hour sessions the local PBS plays news reports involving members of my church. I am so honored to be a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. Members all over the world are doing such incredible things. Just a few of the stories mentioned involved a group who travel from impoverished country to impoverished country. They visit the hospitals and offer their program, a service provided by my church. The program is a training school of sorts to train individuals in the birthing of babies. Previous to the training the infant deaths in the countries were very high. Now, with individuals properly trained mothers and their new born infants return home, alive and well.

Another situation involves a wheel chair program. Wheel chairs are provided to individuals in impoverished countries who have spent their life time crawling or scooting on the ground or being carried by a family member. These disabled individuals were never able to attend school or get jobs. The Church goes in and provides wheel chairs and opens doors of opportunity to these individuals who have never known any different. The smiles and tears of joy on the people's faces brought tears to my eyes and joy to my heart. To be associated with such an organization, such a church is an honor and I all I hope for is to be worthy to call myself a saint and to be counted among such individuals as those mentioned.

My thought following the warmth of the spirit testifying to me the power of Christ's church was this..."How could this work not be the work of God?"


Another experience this morning involved me reading with my girls from my church's children's magazine called the Friend. Inside was an article about a man from Nigeria. He was recalling his youth and a lesson he learned from his father. He recalled a tradition when a gift is given to a family it is the Father's role to say when the gift will be enjoyed. A particular gift of food had been given his family and the young boy could not wait for his father's return home so they could enjoy the food as a family. The young boy begged and pleaded until the mother gave in to the boys pleas. The sweet mother did not want to offend the father by not respecting his role, but also did not want the boy to go on in hunger. When the father returned home and learned of the incident. He took the boy aside and taught him a valuable lesson that not only stayed with him all his life but he has also passed onto me and I too have learned a valuable lesson. "My father was disappointed that I had not shown contentment for what I already had. He taught me that peace of mind and a good life are only for those who are content with what they have." This wise father's counsel swelled within my heart. I had a wonderful discussion with my own children about what this meant. We each promised to be more happy with what we have and not show discontentment with life and what we have been given.

I am thankful for the gospel of Jesus Christ. I am thankful for individuals within Christ's true church who have taught me by their examples of hard work and service. I am thankful to be a member of this true church, Christ's only true church upon the earth. I know it is true. There is a prophet on the earth today, who leads and guides us. We have not been left alone on this earth to walk blindly. We have scripture, continuing revelation, that lights the way to eternity.

No comments: