Monday, October 20, 2008

weekend weirdness

Saturday I went shopping at Jo Ann Fabrics for some odd items for these super adorable bags I am making for Christmas gifts, I will post them when complete. I found myself staring blankly at some beaded stuff and was in serious need of an opinion. My girls would not be much help, they were distracted by the Halloween costume display. I noticed a nice looking woman not too far away and thought she a perfect victim to get an opinion from. The woman looked at me like was going to attack her or something. I said, "I am having a hard time choosing beads for this bag, what do you think?" Her eyes widened a bit and hesitatingly she says, "uh, maybe that one", that was when I noticed her backing a few inches away. I replied with, "Seriously, I can't make a decision for the life of me! Please tell me honestly, which do you think would be better?" Again I get the, "uh, maybe that one". Emily came up at that point and she jumps in with "I like that other one better". I turned to her and said, "Thanks, I agree!" The other woman then says, "uh, yeah that one works too." She was NO help at all. I seriously think she thought I would like stab her or something if she was caught disagreeing with me. OK, so do I look like a terrorist? Oh wait! Can I say that on the Internet? Oh well, anyway, the woman was so weird!

Within minutes I still stood alone at the rack of beads and such and still was mowing over another decision. Not even two feet away stood two of the oddest, yet beautiful, woman you'd ever see in a fabric store! They both had dreads to their waists, tattoos on their arms, funky hippie skirts, purple bangs with beads tied onto some locks of dread, piercings on their faces, and I over heard some of the oddest conversation, like their children's names which all seemed to start with the letter Z and how they found it difficult to home school their kids while the husband was home for fear he would jump on themselves. Anyway, these women would normally be intimidating to people. Nope, not me! I walked right up with my bags and choices, I found them rather friendly and fascinating! I said, "excuse me. I am having THE hardest time choosing. Which one do you think would look better with this bag. I thought this fringe would look best with the bohemian style handle of this bag. What do you think?" The taller and more beautiful one said, "I love the fringe. You were a flapper girl in your previous life weren't you?" I laughed and said, "Why yes I was!" The remainder of our time in that store was spent in the presence of those two women. Honestly, they were the two nicest people I have ever met in this city! They didn't question my friendliness toward them, they didn't look at me strangely or with fear for their lives.

Isn't it interesting how we look at a person and judge them wrongly? So next time you jump to conclusions on someones appearance remember that it is most likely the "normal" looking person who is most likely the "abnormal" human. Ya, so who's to say what "normal" is anyway?

Food for thought I guess.

4 comments:

Katherine said...

Suzanna! It has been so good hearing from you and reading your blog. I love this story... I'm starting to realize (wisdom comes with age) that I can't judge others! I'm always wrong. ALWAYS!

Suzanna said...

Ain't that the truth! Sometimes I think it would be great to be where I am now in my past. But I wouldn't be because I had to travel that road to get where I am today.

Good to hear from you Kathryn.

Anonymous said...

Good story Suz. I found it great that you even had to courage to ask anybody. I always think I have to go it alone, then often wish that I did have some other input. Or at least that I didn't impulse shop. I too expect everyone I talk to to be as warm, bubbly, and friendly as I am. I forget that some people really do seem to think even as adults that you shouldn't talk to strangers. What is up with that? I too am thankful that I am not the shy, introvert I was in my youth. Like you said... "the road you have to travel..."

Cassandra

Suzanna said...

So true, so true.