Sunday, January 4, 2009

Forgotten

I was practicing a song on the piano yesterday for our church choir ( I am the new pianist, ha ha ha, I can hardly play as it is)and feeling a bit overwhelmed with my lack of skill, I decided I deserved a break from the HAVE to practice. I love to play the piano, I could do it for hours every day. My Grandma Stubbs gave me a book of classical pieces when I was maybe 17 or 18. I hadn't opened the book in years. As I bent over to pull the book off my shelf my heart and mind were flooded with memories of that book, my Grandma, and a promise. The promise means nothing, it was never followed through with. It was the memory that means so much to me. But not only that, it is what I gained because of my Grandmother's promise. My Grandmother, who has since passed away, brought me the book on one of her last trips to my home in Missouri. She sat down with me, handed me the book, and said, "I will give my....to whichever of my grandchildren who learns one of the songs that I have checked as favorites and play it for me" I was floored! I worked hard learning two songs. I was the only one to learn and play a song for my grandmother

Years have since passed. I had forgotten all about the book and all about the promise. I ran my hands across the contents page and noticed all of my Grandmother's check marks. I turned to the first one and played with rusty fingers a song I had long forgotten I had ever played for her. Then I played the next song on the list and I played with all my heart. I played for my Grandmother. I played hoping she would hear and be proud of me, that I could still play one of her favorites.

I realize that the gift that I never received wasn't the gift I was meant to receive. The gift I received is greater than the one lost. I received a love of classical music, I worked hard and learned to play a song that I would have never played other wise.

When I finished the two pieces I sat and thought of my Grandmother and my Grandfather who both had a love of the piano. I never knew them very well, they lived in Idaho and I in Missouri, but I pray that through my practice I am in some way reaching out to them and in some way close to them. Particularly my Grandmother who gave me the challenge in the first place.

6 comments:

pinkgoddess6 said...

Hey Suzanna, I was just thinking about you today. I thought I had your email address but looked in my contacts but couldn't find you. So I googled Suzanna, lydia and Emily Okinawa and this blog came up as the first thing! I just couldn't figure out how to message you so that's why I am leaving you a comment!

It would be so nice to hear from you and to see how you are all doing.
Emmaxxx

Suzanna said...

Emma, How do I reach you? I can't remember your last name. So sorry. How cool you could find me so easily. I too thought I had your email. Wait! I did and I emailed you and they kept getting sent back. Sad, but true. Let me know how to keep in touch with you ok>!

Suzanna said...

Emma, How do I reach you? I can't remember your last name. So sorry. How cool you could find me so easily. I too thought I had your email. Wait! I did and I emailed you and they kept getting sent back. Sad, but true. Let me know how to keep in touch with you ok>!

pinkgoddess6 said...

I changed to gmail and I thought I transfered all my contacts but it obviously didn't transfer yours :o(
So my email is pinkgoddess6@gmail.com

Shannon @FairfaceWashcloths said...

Hi Suzanna,

What a neat experience with the piano music. I play the piano and my grandmother did too and we shared that special connection.

I never took the chance to thank you for your post a while back on our blog (Rod and Shannon). It meant a lot to have friends and family thinking of us during our struggles.

Thanks for thinking of us. Hopefully it won't be long before we have our happy ending. :)

Anonymous said...

I was very touched by your story. Thanks for sharing it! I love those tender moments when I remember things like that. I like to think that Grandma DID hear you. I am impressed that you have a good outlook on the learning experience. I am only sorry that the promise didn't go into writing. But then, how would you have moved the "gift" so many times. I was thinking about that gift you were promised and how fun it was to sit and listen it. I am also impressed with you playing for the choir. I forget that you play so well, since I DON'T. I would love to be able to really play my piano and get good at it. Some day when the moment is right. I love you sister!

Cassandra