Sunday, January 27, 2008

A Prophet

I am in deep contemplation, even to the point of wondering whether or not to even attempt to write about the subject occupying my thoughts. I received word this evening of the passing of this great man, a prophet of God. He was the leader of my church for as many years as I can remember. He is the only prophet I ever really knew, and now that he has returned to the presence of our Father, I am heart broken, for not having known him better. For not having listened more and paid closer attention to his teachings. I have his biography, I have read an eighth of it, it has sat on my self for 5 years. I am saddened at the lack of effort I put forth in understanding what he wanted me to have a testimony of. I never had the privilege of meeting this great man, but I loved him none the less.


He visited Palmyra New York during my mission. He spoke to all of the missionaries at a special conference. The night before the conference, for the first time in my life, I prayed and asked if President Hinckley was a true prophet of God. I had never prayed to know that before, I just figured it was true. All morning before the conference I thought on my prayer and did my best to remain open to receiving an answer. When it came time to hear President Hinckley speak I again said a silent prayer to know for myself with out doubt if he was truly called of God. And about half way through his talk I knew. I cannot explain for lack of vocabulary and the nature of the experience to be kept special to me. I know with out doubt that he was a prophet of God. And a great prophet at that. I respect, honor, and adore President Hinckley. He lived 97 years, honorably and faithfully. He was married over 70 years to his sweet wife who passed away a few years back. That is something I hope to one day be able to say, "I have been married to my sweet heart for 70 years".


I will miss his humor, I will miss his testimony and the spirit he brought to meetings. I will miss him. I know he has returned to live all eternity beside his wife. I know that he has returned to live with our Savior Jesus Christ and Father in Heaven. I know that death is all part of that great plan, but it still does not make it any easier when a loved one passes away. I remember when I learned of President Hinckley's wife's passing. My heart was aching for him. Every year he lived with out her, my heart ached for him and his loneliness. And now, he has been reunited with her. That makes me happy. But sad, for selfish reasons. I had grown attached to him, I thought he would live forever. I thought I would be blessed with his words for a lot longer. And now, I will finish that book, his biography. Now I will reread his talks and life lessons. Now, I will look forward to learning from the next prophet. I know that whom ever is called to fulfill the calling of Prophet will in fact be called of God. He will be the Father's chosen leader here on this earth. I will honor and sustain him just as I have President Hinckley.


Good Bye President Hinckley, until we meet again.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I told mom after hearing of his passing that I thought he would live, not forever, but to see the ushering of our Lord. I truly thought that. I too am thankful he has reunited with his sweetheart.

--Cassandra