Thursday, December 10, 2009

Christmas Memory #1

One of my most heart warming, emotional times was the Christmas 1998. I was on a mission for my church in Niagara Fall New York. I had been away from family for just over a year and had been missing them tremendously. I had been forgotten the previous Christmas and received very little mail the entire year. So, as Christmas time approached yet again and my companion was receiving package after package and letters innumerable, I mentally and emotionally prepared myself for yet another year of silence. I did rather well hiding and covering up the pain inside, and immersed myself in giving, serving, and loving the people I served. It truly was a good holiday season and I was happy the Lord was blessing me with a cheerful attitude.

The countdown to Christmas day was fast approaching, the mailbox was checked multiple times a day, the door step thoroughly inspected for hidden packages the mail carrier may have delivered. And still nothing came. Christmas day came and nothing else. I was broken hearted and gave it my best to suck up the hurt inside. The day after Christmas after returning home from an appointment, low and behold there upon the door step was one single medium sized box. I stared at that box, I hugged the box, I caressed the box, and with childlike dreams wondered what could possible be inside.

With shaking hands and increased heart rate I slowly, and I might add with reluctance, opened the box. Immediately my eyes overflowed with tears, my heart was so full I could not speak. All I could do was sit and cry. Once I had gotten my composure I ever so gently reached into the box and removed the quilt made by my parents, sisters, brothers, and their children. Each square had a hand and a scripture. And right in the middle says, "Suzanna's Praying Hands". I wrapped the quilt around me and literally felt the love and prayers of my family who lived so far away.

To this day, this memory is one of my fondest. I shall never forget that Christmas! The Christmas I received and felt the love of my family.

(I had a pictures taken while opening the package and being wrapped in the quilt. I have looked everywhere for these photos and cannot find them anywhere! I am so downhearted right now, I had wanted to share that moment with you!)

3 comments:

Dave and Britni said...

Suzanna, I love that story! Family truly is a treasure and your experience reminds me that I need to be better about writing to my sisters. Thanks to email I usually send them both a little note, but it is just that, little. I need to sit down and make time to really let them know I love them! I am so excited to come back to your blog often!

Suzanna said...

It is good to hear from you. Emails are nice, but that piece of paper in your hand makes all the difference to the heart. The smell of the paper, knowing the loved one's hands were all over it. The smell of the ink. The hand writing reminds you that you matter more than anything else in the world. I just reminded myself that I should send letters to my sisters too!

Anonymous said...

This is great, and yet it makes me very sad! Sad that I have not always been a great sister. I wish that we were not always self-centered. That is what it comes down too. No excuses can make up for any of our family not showing love and appreciation to eachother, especially our missionaries! It stinks that we weren't there for you (or the rest of our siblings) when you were so far from home and doing to Lord's work. I pray that this will be a reminder to me to be better at showing my love. I do however remember that quilt (was just thinking about it the other day actually). I recall I was the ward choir director at the time and was teaching a "new" song: Prayer is the Souls Sincere Desire; I believe. I loved that song, and still do. Funny, I don't even remember who's idea that quilt was, but we were asked to include our favorite song or scripture. I loved including my small childrens tiny hands. I am so glad to hear it was a good memory for you!

Love you lots,
Cassandra