Thursday, March 20, 2008

If I had a million

I am sure I am not alone in pondering the thought of a million dollars and what I'd do with it. It is still a lot of money and you really could do awesome things with it. Well, let me rephrase that, if you manage it well you can do a lot with it.

The first thing I'd do is buy my dream home. My dream home is modest, yet has room for growth and company. It absolutely has to have an amazing yard with plenty of foliage and room for a garden and a game of catch or Frisbee. My home would also absolutely have to have a kitchen with plenty of room to move around with additional cooks and even company to sit near by and visit. This home also has to have built in book cases. If not that will be a wonderful adventure for me to learn to put in. Which brings up another point, my house must be an older home with mature landscaping and also opportunities to explore new possible talents that may lay deep within me. I am totally fascinated with interior design and carpentry. So, a home that will allow me the chance to see if I do have any skills in that area would be most desirable. My family is greatly into entertainment so I also need to have a large rec room to allow for an awesome huge TV, for movie night of course!, and plenty of room for kids, young and old, and games and other funness. I don't require the fanciest of things or newest of things. I ultimately want space and adventure. I have been researching homes and I have found home qualities that I like and dislike but for the most part the size of home I am looking for generally runs in this area at the price of 250 to 350. Mostly because of their location and the size of yard. Like I said I want an older home and they are generally closer to the price of 250, that is if the slump doesn't end and all the prices are jacked way up again!

The next thing I'd do is build my parents a home on their lot of land. First I'd rip down the trailer! I'd build them a home that met their needs. Single level and no stairs in front or back. I'd build them a home that had a large kitchen and even larger dining room. The home would have their master bed room, my Mom would have a craft/hobby room, and my Dad would have his "cave". There would also be at least 2 more rooms simply for visiting children and grand children. Which brings up another point, there would have to be a large family room with a large sectional sofa for when we all get together. My parents have 7 children and 20 grandchildren. The sad part about us getting together is that we all live so far apart that when we do gather there isn't adequate accommodations for us all. So, the home I'd build them would be large enough for us to visit, but not overwhelming for my parents to keep up. I figure that for where they live I could pull this all off for 200.

This leaves me with about $500,000 more. I would divide the money 4 ways, an account for me and my husband (we want to retire at a young age so that we can spend our senior years not only being awesome grandparents but also by serving multiple missions for our church, this has been a goal of ours since our wedding), 2 accounts one for each daughter, this would be for college, mission, or whatever they desire to achieve in life. The last portion would be donated to a few different charities that I have already predetermined, a children's home, abused women and children shelter, and my church's humanitarian relief program.

So, if I were to ever win, inherit, be the recipient of some kind to a million dollars, this is exactly what I would do with every penny!

What would you spend a million on?

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Hey Peanut,

It's nice to read about your dreams and goals. I hope that it's not your own two lovely daughters that you are leaving out of the count, but your parents actually have twenty grandchildren.

Keep on blogging. And thanks for sharing.

Suzanna said...

When I typed in that number I kept thinking it was off and then after talking to Cassandra I realized that it was my 2 girls that I forgot to add into the count. Thanks for the correction though.

The Healthy Way, Somerset said...

I got tears in my eyes reading this post, Suz. Levi is a big dreamer of being worth a BILLION dollars when he's older, so we often get asked this same question... "What would you do with a (million) dollars?" I honestly would spend it in much the same way as you. However, a million dollars doesn't seem like nearly as much money as it did even 10 years ago.

Pruett said...

I would give it all to you b/c you would take such good care of it!
lv you! Heather Pruett